7 tips to beat exam anxietyPosted: February 6, 2018
The trimester’s almost over! Just a few exams and you’re done!
And while this summer weather’s beautiful and all, you’re totally devoting this week to studying and improving your course content knowledge, not improving your sun tan, right?
Though, no matter how prepared you are for an exam, you can’t help but feel some anxiety.
The butterflies in your stomach have multiplied, and the gentle fluttering has turned into frantic flapping.
It’s time to cite maybe the most hated meme ever: keep calm and carry on.
Here are 7 tips from ASAPThought to help you beat exam anxiety:
- 1. Get at least 6 hours of sleep before an exam.
- 2. Ensure you maintain a balanced diet in the lead up to your exams.
- 3. On exam day, have a breakfast high in fibre and carbs so that energy is released slowly and your brain doesn’t crash mid-exam!
- 4. Set realistic goals.
- 5. To help de-stress, imagine yourself in a happy moment–whatever that may be (your bed? #BedIsLife)–then quickly switch to imagining yourself in the exam room. This helps your brain to associate those happy feelings with the exam, and primes you to be ready.
- 6. Familiarise yourself with the exam location–if it’s somewhere you haven’t been before, take a short field trip to the location in advance. This will also help ensure you’re not late!
- 7. Write down any pre-exam insecurities on a piece of paper, and then right below write down a rebuttal that will help you feel confident. Then crumple up that piece of paper and throw it out!