Annnnnd they’re racing!!!!Posted: November 7, 2017
That’s right, it’s Melbourne Cup time again. Time to find the biggest, craziest hat you can fit through your car door and a spare pair of thongs to stash in your handbag for when those heels just get too much.
Come into the library and enjoy The Race That Stops The Nation in air conditioned comfort. We will be screening the race from start to photo finish at 2 pm Queensland time. BYO hat and frock.
Fun Facts about the Melbourne Cup:
- The Cup is always run on a Tuesday, the first Tuesday in November to be precise. It was first run on a Tuesday in 1875. That’s 142 years of short people on big horses going very fast!
- Fashions on the field was first held in 1962. That’s 55 years of whacky hats and purdy dresses. See some of the best and worst fashion from 2016.
- Only 5 horses have won the Cup more than once.
- Barrier 18 is the only barrier to never have produced a winner.
- Lucky Victorians get the day off as an official Public Holiday.
- The youngest ever jockey to win the cup was only 12 years old! Anyone else feel a bit slack?
- And of course last year for the first time ever, a female jockey won the Melbourne Cup. Women have only been allowed to compete in the Cup since 1987.
Enjoy the race! But make sure you’re ready. The race time for the Cup is usually only about 3 minutes!