Get TerraCycling and win!Posted: August 23, 2017
We want you!
…. to recycle your toothbrush (and oral care packaging).
Earlier this year, we partnered with TerraCycle to recycle oral care product packaging. Since then, staff and students have been diligently disposing of their oral care waste in our recycling bins (you’ll find them at all our campus libraries).
Though in the spirit of Sustainability Week – that’s next week, btw! – we want to step it up a bit, encourage even more people to join in, and maybe have a little fun while we’re at it.
From Monday 28 August to Friday 1 September Griffith Libraries will be running a TerraCycling promotion.
Simply visit any campus library and you’ll see a painting station set up – we’ll be getting you to create artwork using recycled toothbrushes.
Painting supplies will be environmentally friendly, and your finished artwork will be displayed around the TerraCycle painting stations.
Not only do you get to take a respite from the busyness of Week 9 of trimester with a bit of mindful painting relaxation, but you can win a bit of moolah while you’re at it!
A winning artwork will be selected from each campus, with each winner getting a $20 pre-paid VISA.
Though, while you’re enjoying yourself painting, don’t forget to come back with your oral waste. You can drop off toothpaste tubes and caps, toothbrush and toothpaste tube outer packaging and floss containers.
We do ask however, that you remove excess product from your items before you place them in the recycling bins. Is there still foamy paste clinging to the bristles of your brush? Is the cap crusted over with old toothpaste? Maybe give them a good rinse first. And don’t forget to dry. We can’t ship dripping packages.
TerraCycle recycles the vast majority of the waste that we collect. According to their website, ‘the tubes and brushes are separated by composition, shredded and melted into hard plastic that can be remolded to make new recycled products’.
If you’re keen to learn more about recycling and sustainability, check out our science databases.
Terms and conditions
The following terms and conditions apply:
- The TerraCycling competition is run by Griffith University Library.
- The prize is a $20 prepaid Visa Card per campus. There will be five winners, one per campus, and each will receive an individual Visa Card.
- Entry into this competition is considered acceptance of these terms and conditions.
- The promotion commences on 9:00am AEST Monday 28 August 2017 and closes at 5:00pm AEST Friday 1 September 2017.
- Entry is free. Entrants can enter as many times as they like.
- Only future and current students are eligible to enter the competition. Current staff and direct family members are not eligible to enter the competition.
- Griffith University Library reserves the right, at any time, to verify the validity of the entries and entrants (including their identity) and to disqualify any entrant who submits an entry that is not in accordance with the terms and conditions. Errors and omissions may be accepted at Griffith University Library’s discretion.
- The winner will be notified by email within two weeks of Monday September 2017. Griffith University Library’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Prizes are not transferable or exchangeable for cash. If the prize is unavailable, Griffith University Library, at its discretion, reserves the right to substitute the prize with a prize to the equal value and/or specification.
- Proof of identification will be requested from the winner at the time of collecting the prize to validate their entry.
- If this competition cannot be run due to any reason beyond Griffith University Library’s control, Griffith University Library reserves the right to modify, suspend or cancel the competition.
- Any costs associated with collecting the prize are the entrant’s responsibility.
- Winners names will be published on Griffith University Library Social Media. Griffith University Library will deal with all Entrants’ personal information in accordance with the Griffith University Privacy Plan.
- The University will not be liable for any loss, expense, damage or injury sustained by any entrant in connection with this prize draw, the prize or redemption of the prize, except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law (in which case, that liability is limited to the minimum allowable by law).